Our hosts cover FOSS news and topics of interest for the first half of our podcast, followed by a review and showcase of LUG member battlestations for the remainder of the meeting.
Our hosts began the meeting/podcast with a brief update of what they’ve been up to since last week. It turns out AKK has been busy reading and watching some vehemently anti-systemd propaganda. In all seriousness, he did raise some solid points and was more so interested in sharing a counter opinion rather than simply taking pot-shots at systemd. pbui followed with an update about Oragono, which is a lightweight IRC server he has running to host our NDLUG IRC server. Zephan followed with a quick note about how some software vendors package old QT version with their software and aired some grievances about it.
FOSS/General Tech News
- Apple Disabling ‘Sign in with Apple’ for Epic Games on September 11
- Justice Dept. Plans to File Antitrust Charges Against Google in Coming Weeks
- Google Begins Rolling Out Android 11
- Intel Launches 11th Gen Core Tiger Lake
- TUXEDO Computers Announces 2 Monstrous Linux Gaming Laptops
- You Can Now Buy Lenovo’s ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 8 Laptop with Fedora Linux
We had a number of members send in their setups to be reviewed/roasted/talked about. In the Twitch VOD this begins around minute 55. We had a wide variety of setups - a MacBook docked with an external monitor and a mechanical keyboard, a Nord themed Manjaro desktop, an Arch install with Polybar and i3-gaps (how original), and some Windows users setups in their dorm rooms. It was a lot of fun to see how everyone customizes both their desktop/laptop itself and their peripherals (mouse, keyboard, etc.).